Frequently Asked Questions

With so many pieces to the puzzle, it can be challenging knowing what to ask for.

We want to make sure you get the right information every time you request it. Below are some commonly asked questions related to our services. Use this as a guide to ensure your needs are met in a timely manner.

Frequently Asked Questions


Questions about Search Company International

What is Search Company International?
Since 1979, Search Company International has been nationally recognized as a leader in providing timely and accurate information to the Banking, Legal and Real Estate Professions in helping them with their loan process. Our Corporate Division can help setup, file and retrieve company documents with the appropriate regulatory agency. We also can act as your Registered Agent in Colorado and in all 50 states.

Where do you obtain your information?
We have access to any jurisdiction that contains public records within the United States and some foreign countries. While we specialize in Colorado, we have built up, through the years, an excellent network of researchers in every state.

Are your services completely confidential?
Yes. We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer any information we obtain from you. We abide by the FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act).

What is your turnaround time on getting this information back to me?
Our normal business hours are 8:00am-5:00pm Monday through Friday. Most of Colorado’s jurisdictions are open these hours, so we check them at those times. We do use certain databases, which have no hours, so we can get the information back to you quickly. Most jobs that we do are returned within 24 hours if not sooner. Some jurisdictions take longer, most within 48 hours. Expedites and rushes can be done at a modest fee.

Are you insured?
Yes, we are fully insured. We carry Professional Liability Insurance (errors and omissions) in the amount of $1,000,000.00.


Industry Questions

Registered Agent

What is a registered agent?
State law generally requires corporations, limited liability companies, limited partnerships, and various types of business entities to register with the state (usually the Office of the Secretary of State) in order to conduct business in that jurisdiction. State law also requires all registered entities to maintain a registered agent and registered offices in the state as a matter of public record. Legal notices and state correspondence for the business entity are delivered to the registered agent at the registered office address.

Why do I need a registered agent
If an entity fails to maintain a registered agent, the state many have statutory authority to revoke the entity’s authorization to conduct business in that state.

What does a registered agent do?
The agent is responsible for receiving service of process and state correspondence on behalf of the entity. The registered agent maintains contact information for the business entity and promptly forwards any service of process or state correspondence received by it to such contacts.

How do I change agent to Search Company International?
If an individual or another entity currently serves as your registered agent and you would like to change to Search Company International, please contact us at 303-863-1000 or [email protected]. We will prepare the appropriate documents for filing with the state and absorb the cost of any filing fees associated with changing your designated registered agent to Search Company International.

How do I name Search Company International as registered agent for a new entity?
If you designate Search Company International as your registered agent in your formation dcouments filed with the state, you will need to send us a copy of the filed documents for our records. Upon receipt of the documents, we will create an account for your entity and send you a Notice of Registered Agent Terms and Conditions, A Client Contact Information sheet, and an invoice for our service fee. If you would like assistance with filing your formation documents, please contact us at 303-863-1800.


Corporate Services

What is the difference between Apostille, Authentication, and Legalization?
Apostille: Refers to certification authorized under Convention 12 of the Hague which allows a government office (e.g. Colorado Secretary of State) to recognize a document for use in a foreign country without certification from either the US State Department or the coutnry’s embassy or consulate. This option is only available to countries which are part of the Hague Convention.
Authentication: The process by which the US State Department certifies the signature or seal of another US government agency (e.g. Colorado Secretary of State) on a document for use in a foreign country.
Legalization: The certification of the signature or seal of a US government agency by a foreign embassy or consulate on a document for use in a foreign country.

What is a Certificate of Good Standing?
A certificate of good standing is a Secretary of State certified document which provides evidence that your entity is currently in existence and compliant with that state’s requirements. In Colorado, the requirement is that you have filed and paid your annual report.

Can a Certificate of Good Standing be issued by Colorado even if taxes are unpaid?
Yes, in Colorado “Good Standing” does not refer to payment of taxes, only to the filing of required periodic reports and/or annual fees. State departments of tax and/or revenue are often not involved in the determination of or issuance of Certificates of Good Standing.

How do I know if and when my entity needs to file an annual report?
Annual report requirements vary based on the jurisdiction and entity type. An increasing number of states do not notify companies of impending annual report due dates. Our team members can help navigate your annual report requirements as well as assist with individual annual report filings. In Colorado, depending on the date the entity was formed, reports are required on an annual basis. We can help you keep track of this.


Uniform Commercial Code (UCC)

Where do I file and search for UCC’s related to personal property if the debtor is a registered organization or an individual?
Since July 2001, the central filing office of the state of formation is the proper place to file and search for financing statements against a debtor that is an organization. The central filing office of the state where the debtor resides is the proper place to file and search for financing statements against a debtor who is an individual. This is usually at the Secretary of State’s office.

Where do I search for Federal tax liens?
Federal liens of all kinds — whether issued by taxing authorities such as the IRS or by non-taxing authorities such as the EPA — are filed within various registries in each state. In some states they are available from the same central filing office as UCCs, such as Colorado, while in other states they are only recorded at the local (county or city) level. There is no central registry for federal liens; each index must be searched separately.

If I filed an amendment and referenced the wrong original financing statement number, can I retract it?
Once accepted and recorded by the filing office, filings can not be retracted. However, in most jurisdictions you can file a UCC-5 information statement and state that the amendment referred to the incorrect financing statement number.